Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 8.0 - thoughts
From: Chris Santerre <csanterre () MerchantsOverseas com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:24:42 -0500

I've been using it for a while, and have investigated ways of handling the
updates of workstations. My situation is I don't have time to get very
fancy. I've got too many things to do, so I need it quick and easy. With
that said, here is what I do:

Every Friday, download the update definitions to a public directory and
uncompress. Run a script that renames standard user login scripts. These new
login scripts copy the virus update files to the "incoming" directory on the
clients. HUGE message in notepad opens on clients machine to tell them to
double click the little NAV icon and check the date of their definitions.
Done.

Come Tuesday morning I change the scripts back over.

There was an article on creating your own local liveupdate server. But it
was more time consuming and still felt like PULL. I wanted to PUSH the
update like this.

This is a undocumented way of updating that I stumbled on while playing one
day. So your mileage may vary.

Chris
Go Patriots!