Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Risk of using SS#s (last 4 digits) for authentication
From: Jim Clark <jimclark () ieee org>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 09:58:25 -0800

I'm not a legal expert but from my experiences, most banks and credit card
companies use the last 4 digits as authenitication. Wells Fargo in particular
uses the SSN number in entirety for online access to user accounts. If there are
legal restrictions, it would appear that quite a few companies have ignored
them.

-Jim

David Greenstein wrote:

How legal is the use of the SSN for authentication. My understanding
is that the SSN is to be used by state and federal government only
Please, any legal expert, help us to understand the issue
Thank you