Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Local Windows Update?
From: Su Wadlow <swadlow () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:39:19 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Stephen C. Gay wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to redirect a client "Windows
Update" to a local server? I am not using Active Directory and am trying to
figure out how to keep 1500+ Win2000 Pro clients current with the latest
patches (without using the M$ update site).

Perhaps MS's Software Update Services will work?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/default.asp

We've implemented it, and it's been a significant improvement over
using MS's Windowsupdate site.

There's a link to an overview white paper at the above URL; the
paper should tell you if AD is required -- I don't *think* it is,
but I could be wrong.

--
Su Wadlow
swadlow () utdallas edu