Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address
From: "Chip McClure" <vhm3 () io gigguardian com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:19:13 -0800 (PST)

tony tony said:

This is quite easy to do, and in no way is a vulnerability in your firewall.
 Bonzi does this to attempt to generate sales, using an environmental
variable of the web server (which in this case, is your IP address) and
implants that in a dynamically generated script which shows your IP.

The only places you're broacasting your IP to, would be in whatever sites
that you visit, in their server logs.

Chip

-----
Chip McClure
Sr. Unix Administrator
GigGuardian, Inc.

http://www.gigguardian.com/
-----

I was doing security research on the internet at work yesterday....when
all of a sudden I got a pop up advertisement that stated that I was
broadcasting my IP address to the entire internet.  It then showed a
screen with my IP address which was the the external IP interface of
one of our companies firewalls.

It just bothers me that someone would be able to determine the IP
address of our firewall that easily.  It seems to me that our firewall
should operate in a more stealth mode.  Our firewall administrator said
it is not technically possible to do this.  What is your take?…I am not
a checkpoint firewall guru…so I do not know.   All I know is that if I
was a hacker, I would love to hammer away on an ip address that
represented a firewall.

Click on the following to learn more about this pop up site.

http://www.bonzi.com/internetalert/ia99m.asp