Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address
From: Andre Speelmans <aspeelmans () planet nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:49:34 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Frederick Garbrecht wrote:

[ explanation about NAT cut away (and rearranged message a bit) ]

There is nothing new about finding your IP Address and display it on
the web page.

"an" IP Address - not necessarily the originating individual.  There are
a LOT of ways around that.

Unless I am missing something in the question, no matter what you do,
what/whoever you connect to through a firewall will always know the IP
address of the the trusted interface of the firewall.

Such is not the case.  I've done otherwise.

Then routing wise, how do the packets find their way back to the firewall
if they don't know the source IP ? ?

The reply about not needing a trusted interface implied you did not have to
give an IP address (be it yours, or from a proxy). I assume the original
poster of that message just meant it could be a proxy. Because otherwise I
strongly agree with the reply "How do the packets find their way back?"

You must give an IP-address of a machine, that knows how to send the reply
back to you. You could give it an incorrect address, of course, but you won't
get the replies in that case.

--
Regards,

Andre