Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interesting One - tips
From: "Richard H. Cotterell" <seec () mail retina ar>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:11:31 -0300

Ref: Mark Ribbans <mark.ribbans () ctel com au>'s
     message dated 31 October 2002, 23:59 hours.

2c..

From my experience working in the IT dept of a defence\aerospace
company, the standard for wiping hard disks that had contained
classified or higher data was to smash it with a hammer and chisel and
have it disposed of.

Mark Ribbans

I would think it cheaper and less energy intensive to open the disk case
and take out the disks and burn them...  :-)

Two ideas come to mind for WINDOWS users:

#1 - Eraser v5.3 will offer you the option of either: [a] Gutmann - 35
passes; [b] US DoD - 7 passes; or [c] Pseudorandom - 1 pass

   I would like to hear of anyone having recovered data after a Gutmann
pass.

#2 - An interesting article well worth a read by Iolo Davidson can be had
at the following URL:

<http://www.bonaventura.free-online.co.uk/realdelete/realdeal.txt>

An interesting tool to have ( and I bet many Windows users have never
given this aspect a thought) is *Swapfove* which used in conjuntion with
Davidson's *scorch.zip* utility will wipe your SWAPFILE, the weak link to
data recovery in Windows machines that will provide plenty on interesting
data to those who wish to search a hard disk.

--
Richard H. Cotterell <mailto:seec () mail retina ar>

Thoughts to reflect on:
 #1. Action to be effective must be directed to clearly conceived ends.
     -Jawaharial Nehru

 #2. Success depends on previous preparation, and without such preparation
     there is sure to be failure.
     -Confucius

 #3. There are no perfect solutions; only intelligent choices.
     -Caterpiller advertisement

  By Date           By Thread