Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Can't Resolve from behind firewall
From: Gene <gyoo () attbi com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:57:12 -0800

I have a similar experience managing multiple 515's, and when my network engineer wanted to look at the PDM, my first impression, well, I really didn't have first impression. I think it's a nice add-on, but one night when we were working late and checking our infrastructure, we decided to add some rules using PDM, needless to say, since my engineer and I like to use CLI, we got confused between the ingress/egress and started seeing the traffic we didn't want plus some other variants... start from the basic before using point-click, you learn more from the fundamentals.

BTW - We did fix the hole.

John Canty wrote:
Rule number 1 about cisco devices.

DO NOT USE GUI's provided by them (or anyone else for that matter) to
configure their devices. The CLI mode will be harder, yes, once you
realize how things are done you'll wish you started out that way.

//John