Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: sunrpc- rpcbind
From: "David J. Bianco" <bianco () jlab org>
Date: 26 Nov 2002 08:22:30 -0500

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 13:28, netsec novice wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly is being attempted when
outsiders send all of my public addresses an rpcbind service request?

They want to know what services each of your computers are running.
If the these are Unix computers, they're most likely looking for
NFS or NIS services.  Windows uses RPC, but it is of a substantially
different flavor, so Unix probes won't gather anything useful from
MS boxes and vice versa.

        David

--
David J. Bianco <bianco () jlab org>