mailing list archives
Re: Need Help Building Linux Based Firewall
From: phani () myrealbox com
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:23:13 +0530
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:24:54AM +0800, Khuzairi Yahaya wrote:
Dear Tech Gurus,
I was given the responsibility to setup a Linux Based Firewall. I am
looking at either Redhat, Mandrake and Suse
on intel platform and Sparc based.
I need your opinion on the following:
1. Which OS is considered the best suited for a firewall?
If you are running the firewall on a separate box then you can try and look at se SE Linux. Even a locked down BSD is
good (I dont hv much knowledge of BSD so i cannot comment on the same)
2. What are the application/software required to be installed?
Again, if you are running a separate box as the firewall , then *no* app shld be installed except for the firewall.
3. What security conserns/issues I need to address?
That depends on your company's security policy.
4. Should I use multiple processors?
Usually not needed for a firewall, but if you hv em then heck y not ;)
5. Any website for reference?
google for linux firewalling . there are lots of materials out there for the design of firewalls and rule sets