Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment Checklists?
From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 2 Dec 2003 16:29:48 -0000

Kim,

Since I've never evaluated the security posture of a company before I could
use some resources on how to best get started. They run the gamut from P2P
to WANs. Of course, I want to give them some value while gaining valuable
experience for my resume.

From my experience, the best way to "add value" to something like an assessment is to evaluate security based on the
their business processes and needs.  Technical information is easy to obtain...it wasn't too long ago that "security
consulting firms" simply had their "consultants" run ISS.  Even now, many reputable firms don't do much beyond running
a commercial scanning tool.

The real value comes when you can assess the security based on the business needs/processes of the client, and provide
reasonable recommendations for improvement, if they're called for.  The things you mentioned...P2P, WAN, etc...are all
part of the picture.  You'll want to look at a variety of areas, including but not limited to WLAN, user acct mgmt,
host-based security, etc, etc.

Hope that helps.  Contact me off list if you want to discuss this.

Harlan