Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: locked out of XP, need file access
From: ". ." <miklohnews () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:23:50 +1000

hi.

i had the same problem but with a w2k box at home. i cant remember from the top of my head the address to the site where i found the great little tool i used to regain admin access. basically it was a floppy image u put on a diskette, just pop the diskette in and boot from it, and u can reset any password, hack the registry and a few more neat tricks. the only thing to be ware of, is if u have encrypted files on your harddrive. since these r encrypted using the password, resetting the password will render these files unreadable... unless u remember the password again.

this shows very clearly that without physical security, there's really no security at all!

if u r interested, send me a personal email and ill find the address and some instructions at home. it should work for win xp as well.

cheers,

mike