Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for a small business's security
From: Clayton Dillard <clay () securespeed cc>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:22:56 -0500

Bob,
        You can take a look at some of the security web sites listed on our
links page (http://www.securespeed.cc/links.htm).  You may also find
some good generic documentation on www.techrepublic.com.

Books are a good source for information too.  I like:
- "Inside Internet Security" by Jeff Crume
- "Hackers Beware" by Eric Cole

Knowledge is one of your most valuable weapons in the quest to secure
your information systems.  Be proactive - it seems you already have that
going for you.  Try to focus on people, policies and tools as the
foundations for your security endeavors.

      * People are either going to enhance or subvert your security
        measures.
      * Policies should be clear and readily accessible
      * Put the right technology tools in place to enforce your policies
        and   enable your company to conduct its business securely.
        Remember "Defense in Depth.

Good luck!
Clayton Dillard, GSEC MCP
Principal Consultant