Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: What to do if Cisco router & switches got hacked ?
From: Francisco Mário Ferreira Custódio <fcustodio () eda pt>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:24:03 -0100

Hi!

In my point of view, hacking a router/switch does only make sense in two
ocasions:

- the attacker "hacks" into the router/switch to get information about the
network, to plan the attack.
- the attacker just wants to shutdown communications by conducting a DOS
attack to the router/switch.

IBM just changes the hardware....this is not a good practice.

I advise you to harden your router/switch...by changing all passwords, using
strong SNMP community names, using the latest IOS, providing good physical
security, use authentication in the routers (rather then a simple telnet
password) and using a syslog server to "see" what's going on.

You should also make sure that you're running the right IOS, a few months
ago...Cisco had a problem with some router platforms, the result was a
router crash...so be sure to check Cisco's advisories.

If you follow this procedures, you can avoid problems...and check what did
caused the router/switch to stop responding. Also assure that only
networking personnel has access to the routers.

Cheers everybody and a happy new year!

Francisco.