Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: locked out of XP, need file access
From: "J. Yoon" <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:05:01 -0500

I really appreciate everyone's kind help regarding this matter
but unfortunately the "password remove/reset" solution will render my encrypted files completely useless. I have physical access to this box since it is entirely mine and sitting in my rec room... it's also set to XP filesystem NTFS but what can I do with the encrypted files? Is the only solution left to run a cracking tool? If I'm on a 800mhz and my passcode is a random 9 characters it looks like this is going to take a long while to crack/break the encryption. Is there any tool you recommend where I can run this in a parallel-computing fashion? (or preferably... any easier solution?)

Also, it's understandable that some ppl can begin to suspect and become suspicious of someone asking how to access files from a box, but all I can say is that i have more than one computer
and have a good(?) bad(?) habit of changing my password rather often.

It gets to a point where i feel i'm getting more security but at the expense of my own sanity since the password i choose is usually something that doesn't make any sense not in any dictionary and completely random. Choose this type of password every time and you'll be sure to run into a situation where you will forget as well.