Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security scenario
From: Johan De Meersman <johan () ops skynet be>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:10:43 +0100

Trevor Cushen wrote:

anyway).  They then schedule overnight a dd of the system disk to a disk
in their machine over the network (very easy to do)  What priviledges do
they need??  I must check this but I have a feeling they will have
access to /dev files and also the /bin files where netcat and dd are (or
/sbin).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but system disk mounting is done as root, so I believe /dev/hd* needs only be readable for root - all vfs-level accesses pass through kernelspace.

--
Public GPG key at blackhole.pca.dfn.de .

  By Date           By Thread