Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SQL & MSDE and Ports 1433 and 1434
From: Stefan Lister <SLister () ariba com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:09:34 -0800

As I understand it, if you have an app on a system using MSDE, the system
would be vulnerable to the SQL Slammer worm *if* the app was listening on
port 1434.

A gazillion apps install MSDE when they get installed on a system. A
minority of those apps listen on 1434 - at least that what it looks like
where I work and I've run nmap against most of my subnets looking for
vulnerable machines.

Patch your SQL 2000 systems immediately, run nmap (or whatever you favorite
tool is) against your subnets and a take a nap.