Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web Log Analyzer
From: "Ciaran Johnston" <cj () nologic org>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:16:43 -0000 (GMT)

Benjamin Meade said:

Hey all,

I'm looking for a (free) log analyser tool, for web, ftp logs, and was
wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I have googled
about, but I'm not having much joy. Needs to handle apache and IIS logs.
I'd prefer it if it could create a nice web page with pretty graphs, and
also handle squid logs, but this is not required.

Thanks,
Benjamin Meade
Systems Administrator
LanWest Pty Ltd

Hi Benjamin,
I use Webalizer (http://www.webalizer.org) for most of my log analysis -
it does great reports for Apache log files, and ftp log files. Not sure
about IIS logs, I suppose it depends on the logging formats. With a bit of
imagination and some scripting knowledge you can usually get most log
types into a recognisable format - I run my qmail log files through a sed
script and get detailed output of email traffic throughput.

There are other similar tools out there, but I find this one the best.

Regards,
Ciaran

  By Date           By Thread