Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unwanted programs on Win2K
From: "Kamran Muzaffer" <kmahmed () cyber net pk>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:33:51 +0500

Hi Gedi,

I tried to _crack_ a .SAM file located in c:\WINNT\repair with LC4, but it
only shows Administrator and guest accounts and those are not the current
passwords either. I think windows saves the initial copy of the password
database there. That's the very reason why I think its not that dangerous to
leave that file there ( may be as a backup ) because if it is so simple to
recover all the Windows passwords, than curing it, would have been the first
step in all Win security manuals.

If am wrong then kindly let me know the work around to get my box secured
from this *hole* :)

-Regards,
-=Kamran