Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall
From: "Mann, Bobby" <bmann () forzani com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:27:49 -0600

I don't think any firewall implementation (Linux, Windows, MAC,
whatever....) is a bad idea.  However, each product and deployment strategy
has it's flaws.

In some scenario's Cisco is the best choice and in others Linksys or
Sonicwall.  In large organizations that already have a Cisco based networks
should seriously consider staying with Cisco.  If Cisco does not meet the
requirements (usually price) a similar product should be considered that has
the basic look and feel (CLI) like Netscreen.  Plus, at the end of the day
people cost more then the product.  But in some environments everyone's a
Linux expert why would you need Cisco then?  There should be a business case
for any firewall consideration.

Hardware based firewall vs. Software?  All firewalls can be considered
hardware.  The fine line between the two is how the hardware/software is
implemented.  In my opinion any firewall that is not embedded or requires an
OS like Linux, Sun, Windows, etc... would be considered software.  In the
case of administration you must be an OS expert (like Linux) and then be a
firewall expert (Checkpoint).  Excellent if your both but some companies
prefer to have an expert for each and designate one person to do firewall
stuff and then one person to do Linux stuff.

Few things to consider when deploying software based firewall:

- Patching OS or firewall software could bring down firewall or open
additional holes
- OS Expertise vs. firewall expertise (you may need two administrators).
- Support contract (One for hardware, one for OS, one for firewall), who do
you call?
- Administration (One for OS and one for firewall).  If your not an expert
in both then forget it.
- High-availability (Stateful failover) (usually requires additional
software and costs a lot of money).  As a result it adds to support costs.

Is software firewalls a bad idea it depends.  Every situation is different.

Bob.