Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Hotmail sign-in through Outlook Express -- clear-text?
From: <rdd37it () hotmail com>
Date: 22 May 2003 16:27:03 -0000

Hello All:

I am wondering if the hotmail authentication through outlook express is
encrypted in any way?  It doesn't appear to be, as the server (in Account
properties) is listed as HTTP.  However, keep in mind that the hotmail web
login is also an HTTP page which is run through HTTPS for the login.  Is
the OE sign-in similar?  Also, on the Security tab of account properties,
it does have 3DES selected for the encryption type...?

I know I could just install a sniffer on my network to check it out for
myself and see if the credentials are passed in cleartext, but I'm hoping
someone here with knowledge on this matter can just give me a definitive
answer, instead.  I have done several searches on this and other sites
(including Microsoft) without locating a definite answer, as of yet...

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Bob

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics