Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing IMAP connection
From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 14:46:37 +0530

On 23/05/03 14:38 +1000, Fernando Serto wrote:
hi folks!

What is the best way to a secure imap connection?
imaps? IMAP with stunnel?

I have an exchange server running on the internal network, and a postfix
with a valid ip address relaying/forwarding mail to the exchange. some
of the users want to use IMAP from their homes, but as the passwords are
on clear text and exchange/NT4 is not secure to put on the external
network, what should I do? our firewall is an iptables one...
You could use a web interface over https, or you could have stunnel
listening on port 993 and 143 on the Linux system, port forwarding
to a local ssh tunnel to the MS Exchange server imaps port.
Then the users can just use imaps to work. stunnel is a very good tool
to tunnel applications over a SSL tunnel.
The tunnel will be transparent to the user

Devdas Bhagat

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics