Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About Operating Systems security
From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:09:28 -0700

From: "yannick'san" <yannicksan () free fr>
Oups! sorry if it was not clear.
I'm not asking you for any application recommandation nor any OS
recommandation. In fact my question should be ennonced like that : how do
you do when you want to introduce a new OS in your companie ?
Some mails earlier, I've been told to calculate the TCB (Trusted Computing
Base) of the whole system and since that, I concentrate my efforts on it.

I'd say the only real objective way to decide is cost based. Look at the total cost of ownership/transition and if it's cheaper then you should probably switch. As much as people bash Microsoft (myself included), security isn't really about what product you use, but how you use it.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and a quick recompile."