Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: hopster bypass that firewall!
From: "Hagen, Eric" <ehagen () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:37:11 -0700

I would say that the best bet would be to block access at the firewwall to
Hopster's IP address(es).  Without having the program installed to watch the
traffic, I don't know what server it contacts, but I imagine it would
probably be a single domain which could be added to a firewall rule to
prevent the connection.  Since it likely uses common ports to transmit,
blocking the ports isn't going to work.  In fact, I believe Hopster is just
a simple frontend to a SOCKS5 proxy out on the Internet.

Eric