Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking GoToMyPC
From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:42:32 -0600

I would just block the entire domain if what you want to do is not allow employees to use that site. That way it avoids the issue of them knowing the IP to the site and using that as a method to bypass the DNS resolve that you came up with.

If you are a small company educate the users on why you do not want them to use that site as well as why they should not use it in your case.

--Leif Ericksen

Brandon Slice wrote:

What is the easiest way to block GoToMyPC? I do not want employees either working on their home machines from work, or opening up the network by bypassing the firewall. I think from reading GoToMyPC's website the remote machine must login into one of the servers, then the client connect to the GoToMyPC server and the server relays commands to the remote machine. Also I think I read that GoToMyPC uses HTTP and other protocols that normally the firewall allows through.
One idea that we had was to put a phony DNS entry into our DNS server for the GoToMyPC domain, to send that traffic to
a non-existent IP on our network.  Would this work?  What would be the major problems with it?

What about disallowing access to any ip that on a reverse DNS lookup falls into the GoToMyPC domain?

Thanks for your time,
Brandon

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  By Date           By Thread