Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: military strike possible?
From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:05:55 -0600

In reality, this will be all too simple to accomplish. Consider for a moment, a few simple facts. IP addresses can be a bit hard to come by, especially if you are looking for IPv4 address space. North America has 80-90% of all the IPv4 space on the planet. The university I work for has more IP addresses than the entire country of China.

All of the major ISP's are here - Cable & Wireless, Qwest, AT&T, AOL, UUnet, Verzion, etc. The core DNS for the entire Internet physically resides in the USA. Make a few tweaks to some peering agreements and some routing tables and - presto! change-o! - you are now in a black hole. No traffic comes in and none goes out.

I can assure you that our government, in light of 9-11, has looked at what it would take to isolate a country, any country, from the Internet. Our military would be remiss in their planning if they had not.

My concern is more along the lines of Carnivore. You have to get court orders to read my snail mail. You have to show probable cause and justification. Why in the heck is my email considered to be different? It's still my mail. Just because I send it electronically doesn't give anyone the right to sniff, filter, tamper, read, etc. my mail any more than my sending a letter at the post office should.

2 cents,

Jimi