Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Military and Wireless (Was: wireless policies)
From: Alessandro <a.bottonelli () infinito it>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:46:03 +0100

On Friday 14 November 2003 20:56, Steve wrote:
Tactical field units like the 82nd Airborne make use of wireless networks
that are not necessarily authorized and can likely easily be hacked.  Yes -
I am somewhat off topic.

Don't think we are going off topic that much. Actually when I discovered my
client is using wireless networks (unauthorized!) I generated a lot of
discussion at the higher ranks.

Never thought of a wireless network as a "search and destroy" mean for a
tactical weapon, but that's indeed a consideration. Although the Spread
Spectrum technology makes it harder to use the radio waves as a radio beacon
for such a purpose... I suppose...

More pragmatically, I believe military networks (even unclassified) and
wireless is an oxymoron altoghether, yet there may be situations where you
have no choice, that's a why a policy governing the issue is a must, rather
than leaving it unleashed.

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
CISSP, BS7799 Lead Auditor