Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Linux for newbies
From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:59:28 +0100

Hi Matt,

you will hear many different recommendations. My personal experience is as
follows: i started with RedHat which is a pretty good system to get
installed and start getting used to linux. Particularly for a desktop you
will get started faster with RedHat, and are less likely to get frustrated.
I would recommend against SuSE - everything is different on a SuSE machine,
if you learn SuSE it won't help you that much with other distros.

I would, however, recommend moving on to another distribution as soon as you
can. I personally like gentoo linux from www.gentoo.org a lot. I did much of
my linux learning on gentoo, and it's a great platform because you set up a
lot of things yourself and learn how they work in the process. Some people
will probably say debian, but debian stable is too outdated for my taste. I
find debian better suited to production machines than a personal box to
learn linux on. If you try gentoo you will learn a lot about linux by the
time you have your box all set up. The distro is also quite standard, the
only place that gentoo differs greatly is in the placement of the startup
scripts. I consider the way gentoo does the rc scripts more intuitive than
the standard SysV, and easier to use for a beginner.

If you need help getting linux installed, don't hesitate to mail direct,

Greetings from Germany,

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----