Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Copying HDDs for forensic purposes?
From: "Suramya" <security () suramya com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:09:59 -0500

Hi,
 All forensic software make an exact byte by byte copy of the drive
starting with track 0 sec 0 all the way to the end. This way the new
disk has everything the original drive had. Doing a byte by byte copy
allows the system to copy the sectors which have recently deleted files
in them as opposed to marking them as blank.

 If the drive is physically damaged then it becomes harder to recover
data but not impossible. In my experience Norton Ghost has a hard time
imaging a damaged hard-drive.

 Hope this helps.

- Suramya