Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WinXP Admin login
From: Vishal <dhrakol () myrealbox com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:47:54 -0500

Hi Gary

SG> Other than use the WinXP installation disc, is there another way to
SG> re-capture Admin privileges on a machine that was previously given a
SG> password for the Admin account?

If you have physical access to the system, you may want to give Petter
Nordahl's NT bootdisk utility a whirl. I have used it successfully on NT, and
have seen it work on Win2K/XP as well. A word of caution though - if you have
EFS encrypted files on the target system, they will be unreadable once you
reset the password.

Cheers,

-Vishal