Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Firewall Switch
From: "Zill, Greg" <Greg.Zill () owh com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:15:56 -0600

Is it reasonable to switch from licensed proprietary firewall to Open
Source firewall? With budget restraints what they are these days, I
figure I can step up and offer to convert the impending expiration of
current hardware/license. The proprietary firewalls currently in place
number 7 and protect key internet points at 6 geo-locations. Current
support licensing is past $10k per. The firewall technology itself
purports application layer, although much of the newly needed http/xml
stuff is not yet implemented.

Would I be able to provide the same level of protection and prove same
to managers? Would I really save dough? Also site-to-site vpn is in the
mix betwixt all sites...any thought appreciated.