Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC Authentication device
From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:19:42 -0300

At 21:54 18/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:

Can anyone recommend a device that will do MAC Address Authentication before allowing a user/computer to connect to the network. This is different then MAC Address filtering, which allow or disallow access to the Internet for the the systems that are already on the network. I am trying to find a cheap device that will help me control non-employees accessing our trusted network.

What device are you thinking about?

I mean, if you have a LAN that connects computers by means of a simple hub (for example), there's no way you can control access to your network if you allow people to, say, plug their laptops into your hub.

If that's not the case, then you must be talking about people *remotely* accessing to your network. In that case, think about a firewall.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org