Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unresponsive Vendor
From: JohnNicholson () aol com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:28:07 -0500

I would argue that in most cases it's possible to release a general description of the vulnerability that would not be
tantamount to releasing an exploit, but that aside... (Yes, I realize that if you give people enough of a clue they
will be able to figure it out for themselves, but at least you prevent the script kiddies from using a ready made
exploit.)

I'd suggest that you send the vendor a letter via registered mail, return receipt requested, spelling out the
vulnerability, documenting your conversation with the engineer and the fact that you haven't heard anything.  Propose a
timetable for them to respond to you to discuss how they are going to resolve the problem and how you and they
(together) can announce the vulnerability in a manner that informs the user base without creating a substantial risk of
exploitation.

You should make it clear that you feel that if they do not respond, other users of their product will be at risk, and
you will be required to disclose the nature of the vulnerability via other means so that other users will be able to
protect themselves.

I'd suggest cc'ing the letter to someone you trust at Securty Focus or maybe someone like Russ Cooper, Thor Larholm or
someone of similar stature so that, if the vendor just discloses without giving you credit, you've got someone who can
vouch for the fact that you found that vulnerability.

Hope this helps.

John