Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall for Business use
From: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz () spinaweb com au>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:49:54 +1100

I can give you a personal example, maybe trivial but real. Most of the
time I live outside of the US, but my family network in the USA runs,
unattended, on Windows 2000 server with a full-time modem connection
to an ISP. An old version of Tiny Personal Firewall runs on that
server, and successfully protected it from the MS Blaster worm that
hit while I was out of the country.

I really don't understand your relationship with a firewall and
MSBlaster. A firewall is a packet filter, if configured correctly
you will stop applications (virus or otherwise) from accessing a
computer's network port. If a vulnerably port is left opened by a
firewall ie: port 80 for iis then expect it to be owned :)
Problem with most windows based personal firewalls:
1) Provide a false sense of security to the untrained or uninitiated.
2) is some viral attacks are smart enough to disable firewalls.

I don't use any of the personal firewall features such as application
checking, just simple blocking of incoming connections that I have
configured directly. So maybe you are correct that there is no reason
to run a "personal firewall" on a server, but this particular
"personal firewall product" had some value to me on a server, mainly
because it was free and available.

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027