Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

McAfee Anti Virus V4.5.1 SP1
From: "Mike" <mjcarter () ihug co nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:02:20 +1300

Hi All,
I have a question and  I can't get an answer from the vendor, their support
is not free for this question.
We have had 3 or 4 machines come up infected with Nachi today but the on
access scanner didn't pick it up. Carrying out a full system scan did pick
it up.

I found the infected machines by going through Black Ice logs on my local
machine that showed RPC scans and then connecting to the remote machine's
C:\winnt\system32\wins directory and scanning the dllhost.exe and
svchost.exe files.

I don't have access to any kind of network scanner, our security policy
doesn't allow me to use them (I'm just a field ops support person).

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out why McAfee on access scanner isn't
picking these files up but the full system scan is. There is no difference
in the setup we have between on access or full scan.

Everything is up to date, including the MS patch levels, but that's another
story.

Is there another variant that might be stopping the on access scanner ???

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike