Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HIPAA_Compliance
From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:40:21 -0400

I like PGP. It has its uses.  Mainframe version is awesome. I have not
looked into some of its newer flavors recently however, I believe the
Enterprise edition allows for restting of user passwords, I could be wrong
especially since I have not researched this lately.  The desktop version was
difficult for us to maintain for a large diverse base (i.e. millions of
e-mail users) and we could not reset their passphrase if they forgot it so
they lost all of their encrypted stuff if they forgot their password.  Add
our members into the picture and we just could not support ANY desktop
encryption package that had that type of key exchange.  Trying to explain
and swap keys to many users was just beyond comprehension as was trying to
have enough people to field their questions.  But it certainly DOES have its
uses.  Not tryingto slam desktop/end user encryption in any way.  Just
realize it does have some drawbacks from a support side. ALso, forensically
speaking, if I had to do an investigation on desktop encrypted stuff, it is
much more difficut since Ihave to start breaking passwords.  With SOME
enterprise versions, I can retain a master key and decrypt anything as I
need to.  Def a plus.  I would def talk to PGP as well because I do know
they have improved their software recently.

P.S.  My disclaimer blurb again.