Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: restore Administrator password
From: "Raoul Armfield" <armfield () amnh org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:55:01 -0400

:Filip,
:
:If you have physical access to the drive then boot with dos
:(ntfsdos) and go
:to the %winnt%\system32\config folder. Delete the SAM file and when you
:reboot the machine you will have no password for the
:administrator account.
:Keep in mind that this will delete any other users on the
:system. You just
:need to recreate them with the same names and they will be fine again.
:

Unless there are encrypted files or folders on that server in which case
these files are lost.

Your best bet probably is what others have suggested, the P Nordahl's
password recovery disk.  You can google for the location.

Raoul

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html