Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitor XP (ICS ) client connections?
From: Edward Miller <EMiller () tax state va us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:38:36 -0400

Just try something like SurfControl or NetNanny. There are others like that
as well. The employees will never know its there unless they get a message
that something is blocked. However, it would be wise to inform employees
that a monitoring policy is in effect. The software can also be tweaked to
be as restrictive or non-restrictive as he wants.

                      "David Gillett"

                      <gillettdavid () fhd        To:       <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                      a.edu>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  Monitor XP (ICS ) client connections?

                      04/19/2004 12:58

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      gillettdavid

  A friend who runs a small business (across the continent from
me, currently) is using XP with connection sharing, and has
expressed concern that some of his employees may be endangering
the network by visiting URLs they shouldn't.  He'd like to be
able to do some basic monitoring of the ICS connection, without
getting into full-blown sniffing and packet disassembly.

  Can anyone recommend (or, based on experience, recommend against!)
tools for this job?  It doesn't have to be in real time, it's okay
if it sits in the background collecting info and he just checks it
every now and then.

Dave Gillett

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less

to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the
skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html