Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Tracking down a vandalizer who's faking his IP
From: "Jon S." <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:07:57 -0400

Someone is vandalizing my friend's website.
When I checked the IP address, it seems like it's from another distant country and not much else information is provided.

Clearly, from what the vadalizer wrote, it appears he is from a local area and possibly someone he knows quite well.

I have sent an email to the owner of that segment of IP address but haven't heard anything for the past 2 months other than an automated reply. Do most admins in other countries ignore requests to reveal source IP's when they feel it's just a vandalism and not a significant incidence?

Does anyone here have any experience tracking down a faker such as this
and could you provide any tips on how one can effectively talk to
and coordinate with the ISP's at the other end?

Thanks,

Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included with MSN Premium! http://join.msn.com/?page=features/mlb&pgmarket=en-us/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html