Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tracking down a vandalizer who's faking his IP
From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:35:16 -0400

Does anyone here have any experience tracking down a faker such as this
and could you provide any tips on how one can effectively talk to
and coordinate with the ISP's at the other end?

Don't bother wasting your time.

You can try and get ahold of someone at the ISP who handles abuse and/or security incidents, but I doubt anything serious will come of it. It sounds like you've already performed most of these steps, so unless you have the time to continuously follow up you may have to suck it up. Perhaps legal action is a recourse available to you, but I'd rather you not tie up the legal system.

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html