Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

IPS vs Firewall
From: "Benny Late" <lvmygop () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:15:36 -0500

List,

I am to give a presentation concerning IPS vs. IDS and why we have decided to implement an IPS solution. I have stuff about each of those, but my big problem is going to come from my LAN/WAN group. Because I've decided to place the IPS outside the firewall, they have already moaned about it and I know they're going to bring up why we need IPS vs. Firewall. I have stuff about what firewalls don't look for or do compared to IPS.

My question is, how would you go about showing that firewalls or BigIP routers can be attacked directly? For those of you concidering IPS, can you impart any of the knowledge gained by implementing your solutions?

Many thanks,
Benny

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring
Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html