Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPS vs Firewall
From: "Juan Velasquez" <Juan () EvolutionH com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:44:00 -1000

I'm sorry, but can you remind me as to what IPS stands for?
I found IDS in the dictionary of "Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms"
meaning "Intrusion Detection System."

However, IPS only brings up "InPlane Switching [technology] (LCD)," and
"Information Processing Standards."
I can't imagine that I have the correct meaning here.
Searches in google also were not very helpful either.

You seem to use the term IPS as if it's not completely equivalent to an
IDS or a firewall and that it may be used as an alternative to either.

Anyway, in regards to your question: "how would you go about showing
that firewalls or BigIP routers can be attacked directly?"

Searching in google for "cisco firewall exploits" brings up a few
interesting links.