Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows SUS
From: "Jason Balicki" <kodak () frontierhomemortgage com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:41:58 -0500

My question is this, is there a way to set up SUS so that you can use a
browser to connect to http://susserver.mydomain.com and be able to have
it scan the machine and then download the needed updates, ala
windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

No.

My googling has not turned up anything todate. maybe someone has
developed something like this already and is willing to share?

This is in the SUS FAQ on Microsofts' website.  5th question down:

Q. Once I install the SUS server component, can I point my Internet Explorer
browser to the SUS Web site to get updates--similar to how I would access
Windows Update?

A. No. The SUS server is only designed to communicate with the Automatic
Updates component on client computers and does not provide for access to an
internal Windows Update Web site. Even in a SUS environment, if you click
the Windows Update link in the Start menu, you will be directed to the
external Windows Update Web site from which you would install updates,
instead of from the SUS server.

They make noises alluding to the fact that the next version of SUS
(Called WUS -- I'm not making that up) might be able to do that.

See the official SUS site at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

HTH,

--J(K)

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html