Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie
From: Xilo Musimene <xilopublic1 () ca inter net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:24:54 -0500

Out of interest, why is there no choice in this? You can tell your
management (or provider) that it is insane to use 7.3 on such a box. And
what kind of provider is supplying services on 7.3? I'd really like to know!

The only time I can think of 7.{2,3} being a plus is when specific software
packages are being used, and so therefore when the box in question is a
workstation. On a server, there is no logical reason to go with it.

I believe the ones that have decided that they should use RH7.3 have done it probably because either they prefer it (they might be too conservative IMO) or because there is no security requirement; I believe the servers are behing all sort of security devices that take care of everything. In any case, I plan on buying my own computers in a few months so practice (on a secured network) is much better than nothing!

Thanks,
  Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html