mailing list archives
Simple Firewall: Summary
From: G Farnham <gfarnham () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:26:52 -0800
Thanks for all the responses. Summary below.
Are there any good tools for testing firewall performance.
Specifically in terms of latency added by firewall.
1) This looks like best solution for me
2) This one looks viable also
ou may be able to use peerguardian... A firewall of sorts for
peer-2-peer apps that uses a deny list to prevent the FBI/RIAA/MPAA etc.
from snooping your shared files. You should be able to pick that up at
3) recommendations for commercial firewalls would probably work, some
recommended ones are:
4) Win Remote access service RRAS
I think this would work, but more overhead than I want
4) Use windows IP filtering, Win2003 SP1 (like XP SP2 firewall), IPSec
I don't think any of these meet my needs.
I need a deny capability. Permit or White list will not help me as
the service (game server) needs to be open to the public.
As far as I know, built in IP filtering is "permit only" not deny capability.
XP SP2 firewall has no way to define a deny list for source IP.
[If I have any of this wrong, feel free to correct me, but please
provide details on how to do it or where to see it]
- Simple Firewall: Summary G Farnham (Dec 30)