Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mail Servers blocking BAD Helo
From: Fernando Amatte <famatte () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:20:42 -0200

Hello Brandon

I faced a similar problem, for a long time I managed  ISPs and we
decided to use Qmail ( www.qmail.org ) with SPAMCONTROL (
http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/qmail.html )  as our SMTP server.

SMPT RFC says that HELO field  must be the FQHN, but  when you are
working with "windows" customers you have a problem ( another one ) .
Outlook Express send  HELO as  the "Machine's name". So we decided do
not DNS Lookup for the HELO/EHLO greeting, but use a  good and well
done  blocklist  ( badhelo ) with regex.
This way we can block some kind of virus, automated Spam programs and
thinks like you  tell, just including another line on badhelo file.

Fernando Amatte

  By Date           By Thread