Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port Knocking questions
From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 1 Mar 2004 19:57:24 -0000

I have a few questions about port knocking.  First of all, is it a hacker
tool or a security tool?

Since I'm sure you did a Google search already, I guess the answer to that question would be, "depends on how you
implemented it...".

Does it require the hacker to be able to ping the
device?

Again, it depends on the implementation.  If the author of the application using port knocking requires an ICMP packet
to be in the mix, then the answer would be "yes".

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301