Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Root account desactivated
From: Andreas <andreas () inferno nadir org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:13:24 +0100

On Mar 11, MARTIN M. BXnoni wrote:
Hi community!

I have a really stupid trouble: on a Redhat 9.0, the line matching the root
account in the file /etc/passwd has been changed from ".../bin/bash" to
".../sbin/nologin". We have the root password, but when performing a "su"
command, the system replies that the account is not currently available.

So the question is: how from an user's account and knowing the root's
password but having the root account disabled can we reactivate this root's
account?

Any suggestion would be appreciated, I do not want to reinstall the box :(

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you have physical access to the box, why not boot from a rescue disk
and change the appropriate line in /etc/passwd ?

regards,
andreas

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html