Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: frequent vpn tunnel drops
From: new bie kapper <securekaps () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:54:13 -0800 (PST)

hi All,

Thank you for your responses on my tunnel drop
questions,i actually
have keep alives on!!

The tunnel stays up usually for 23 hours and then goes
down and then
comes up as showed in my last emails logs.

Let me understand the basics from the experts here in
the mailing
lists!!

1) What is the exact difference between IKE SESSION
rekeying time and
the IP SEC Session rekeying time!!with relation to the
tunnel going
down
and coming up!!

2)Exactly when is the tunnel supposed to go down to
come back up again
i mean ideally,for a LAN TO LAN SESSION and WHY!!

3)My IKE REKEY SESSION TIME IS 86400 SECONDS FOR THIS
PARTICULAR
CLIENT!!AND MY IPSEC Rekey session is set at 28800
seconds.What exactly
is
meant by configuring this there also a datalifetime
which is set to
10000kbytes.

4)I understand the whole thing bout NAT'ing and how it
could spoil the
routing of the packetcoz of which it is put into a UDP
packet and
stuff.......am yet to have a clear definition of NAT-T
WHAT IT CAN DO
,WHY
IT SHOULD BE USED...etc!!what r other opetions and why
they shld and
shld not be used!!

5)What could be the reason when the log says on tunnel
going down
"recieved unencrypted packet when crypto
active!!dropping packet does
this
give us any signals of whatz going on!!

6) How can i determine that after the tunnel drop who
is initiating the
tunnel my end or the watch guard end!!

I am just trying to clear my fundamentals on these so
please be patient
with my questions

Thank You

Yahoo! Search - Find what youÂ’re looking for faster
http://search.yahoo.com

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html