Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Legal? Road Runner proactive scanning.
From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:01:07 +0530

port scanning : not illegal in the strict sence because we were connecting to see if the service is running or not

Testing Service on port: illegal because they are trying to get into your system

I'm sure they could argue that a port scan was checking ports for "open
proxies."  Are they just scanning for port 25 or actually doing an open
relay test?  Same with proxy, are they just scanning for 8080 and other
ports, or are they testing also?

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html