Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Security DeepFreeze
From: Gavin S <s7726 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:55:26 -0800 (PST)

My school uses deepfreeze to keep the students from
screwing up the machines. At every reboot the whole
system is reset, with the exception of the thaw drive.
Any update aplied to the system are lost. the only way
to install an update would be to turn off deepfreeze
temporarily, install the update and then turn it back
on. You could even allow the user to do this, assuming
you trust them that much, because the system uses One
Time Passwords using a combination of tokens to
generate a password that is good for one use. The
system works pret well and i can tell you from some
time spent it is difficult is not impossible to get
dissabled without the use of some other sort of boot
media such as a linux live disk with NTFS ebabled.

Hope this helps

Gavin S.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html